Associate Mortgage Planner (AMP)
With increasing consumer expectations, and the continuous push towards greater professionalization, the Financial Advisory industry faces the ever-pressing need to learn, unlearn and relearn to stay relevant. Financial Advisory Representatives (FARs) play diverse roles as facilitators, advisors and consultants to the client’s biggest asset and liability – often their real estate properties and mortgages. In today’s competitive environment, FARs must position themselves to differentiate their value proposition from what competitors can offer. With the introduction of more than 7 major Property Cooling Measures since 2009, and the Total Debt Servicing Ratio (TDSR) Framework in 2013, there has been major changes in the various regulations and policies on various types of property financing. With high home ownership of more than 90% in Singapore, mortgage planning is a very important part of financial planning that a FAR must be adequately competent about.
It is against this backdrop of a need to increase our knowledge and professionalism to better serve our clients’ needs that this program is created. This program will equip FARs with the knowledge and skills on mortgage planning for their clients. This will add to the comprehensive financial planning knowledge base required for financial consultants to add value to their clients and differentiate their value proposition for business growth.
This 2-day program is customised for FARs and is structured with core competency training in the areas of mortgage advisory and property investing to better equip the FARs with competency to engage prospects and clients. This course will help you G.R.O.W:
1) Gain competency in mortgage planning
2) Retain clientele
3) Optimise client's portfolio
4) Write quality businesses
Have you always had clients ask you about mortgage and refinancing issues, or told you that they rather buy another property instead of diversifying their financial resources into retirement planning or other financial planning goals? Do you want to know how to engage your clients effectively, and help them understand the implications and risks of asset concentration, and redirect them to a portfolio perspective?
This program will provide the necessary competency in mortgage planning, and access to a network of bankers, accounting professionals, corporate secretariats, subject-matter expertise and legal professionals to support your business to add value to your clients. And while you grow your financial advisory business, you will also through this course, strengthen your competency and value proposition to serve your clients better in managing perhaps one of their largest asset(s) in their overall financial portfolio.
AMP Program Introduction Video
At the end of this course, participants would be able to:
- Understand the Total Debt Servicing Ratio (TDSR) framework and conduct quantitative analysis for refinancing or new property investment
- Understand how banks assess a client’s credit worthiness, and gain insights on how to improve credit ratings through proper cash management strategies
- Understand the application of MAS Notice 632 and 645 on mortgage and refinancing
- Understand the different types of mortgage packages available in the market and how to select the most suitable option to meet the client's needs
- Understand what influences Singapore’s interest rate movements and manage the risks of over-leveraging
- Understand how to successfully pay off a mortgage earlier to minimize interest expenses while allocating resources for other goals such as retirement planning
- Understand the costs and benefits of mortgage re-financing
- Understand the pros and cons of using equity-loans using property as collateral pledge
- Understand how mortgage and home content insurance works for a client, and how to help them select the most appropriate plans
- Understand the various tax policies concerning real estate ownership and practices
- Understand the implications of BSD and ABSD on buyers owning different types of properties
- Gain an appreciation of the types of exemptions and remissions for BSD and ABSD and the consequences for non-compliance
- Understand the different property-related taxes and the need for compliance in consideration of tax minimisation planning
- Understand the relevance of a capital gain tax for different types of property investments
- Understand the various CPF policies that affect public, private and commercial property ownership
- Understand the impact and implications of the CPF Housing Withdrawal Limit, Valuation Limit and the CPF contribution rate on the housing instalment repayment
- Understand the implications of the CPF nomination on property-related issues, including equalisation and succession planning
- Understand the application of CPF Retirement Sum when using CPF to invest in 2nd and subsequent properties
- Using Trust to own and invest in properties
- Synthesize and Apply the knowledge in real life case studies and conduct financial calculations to analyze the client’s situation and offer suitable solutions
Other Course Information
Course Duration: 2 Full days and including a 2-hour assessment. Upon successful completion of the practicum, attendees will be awarded the Associate mortgage Planner (AMP) designation
Course Facilitators: Mr. Alfred Chia )Principal Facilitator for AMP Program) and Mr. Ronald Wong
Funding: This course is IBF-FTS approved and eligible participants qualifies IBF-FTS funding (up to 90%), subject to it's eligibility criteria under the IBF-FTS scheme. Please refer to the IBF website for details regarding IBF-FTS funding eligibility. Alternatively, you may also use your Skills Future Credit up to S$500 credits sujsct to SSG terms and conditions. Please refer to the SSG website for details by clicking here.
Special launch price: $1,500, and early birds who sign up before 15 Oct will receive another $100 learning voucher for another CPD course of your choice.
FAQ Regarding the AMP Program
Q1) Why is FP collaborating with Alfred Chia in launching this program?
At FP, we believe in being certified as a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) Professional. But more than that, our principal mission is to be C.F.P - and that we are to be
- Committed to the Mission of helping our clients create wealth, preserve dignity and change lives, and turn their dreams into reality through holistic financial planning,
- Focused on the outcome, that the strategies developed through the financial planning process leads to a client meeting his financial goals and objectives only if he takes sustained action towards his aspirations, and therefore, we want to equip financial planners with both knowledge to be a better financial planner to facilitate the planning process, as well as equip them with the ability to engage, empower and encourage our clients to take action, and
- Professional in our approach, in that we want to always put our clients interest before our own, and that we must always have an all-rounded subject-matter expertise to provide our clients with sound and objective advise, on top of helping them source the most competitive solutions.
On that note, Alfred is the perfect fit with his subject-matter expertise in the area of property investing and holistic financial planning.
Q2) Who is Afred Chia?
- Alfred Chia is the CEO of SingCapital Pte Ltd, an MAS-licensed Financial Advisory Firm and probably one of the very few financial advisory practitioner with financial advisory combined with deep property investment knowledge and experience
- With more than 25 years in the financial planning industry, Alfred has in depth knowledge and vast experience in providing financial solutions to both individual and corporate clients.
- As an ardent believer in the power of education, Alfred strives to share his knowledge of financial planning through as many conduits as possible. He is the Creator and Chief Trainer for the popular program, 'Singapore Accredited Mortgage Planner', for real estate professionals. It is a program that has been running for more than 10 years.
- Author of 3 books, ‘Mortgage and Grow Rich’, ‘Grow Rich Singapore Style’ and ‘Last Wishes’. The books are dedicated to holistic financial planning towards financial well beings.
- Alfred had also administered Professional Indemnity Insurance for Real Estate Industry since year 2003. He is also well versed with the various legal regulations that govern and impact the real estate industry.
- He also sit on board of various Real Estate Fund as Advisory Board Member and Independent Director, affirming his expertise and network in high level real estate investment.
- Alfred is also serving as FPAS (Financial Planning Association of Singapore) Editorial Board Chairman, affirming his commitment in promoting holistic financial planning
- His insights and perspectives on various financial matters are widely interviewed by numerous media channels from radio to TV
- For years, Alfred has identified a big knowledge gap in the link between ‘mortgage and property investment’ in financial planning. He hopes that through the AMP program, he can bridge this gap for FARs to raise the level of financial advisory competency.
Q3) How is AMP different from SAMP which Alfred is currently conducting?
- The SAMP is primarily focused on the competency sets required for real-estate professionals to support their business in real estate sales. The AMP is more in-depth in that mortgage planning is a part of the holistic financial planning competency skills set. There are cross applications and opportunities that a FAR can capitalise on to grow his financial advisory business, while strengthening his value proposition with competency in mortgage planning.
Q4) How is AMP different from other Mortgage Planning courses by other providers?
- We believe that each course has its own merits. The AMP is conducted primarily by Alfred and his experience itself is a merit of this program. Further, this course is also approved under the IBF-FTS framework.
Q5) I am unable to attend the current batch; when is your next class starting again?
- We run this course quarterly; do look out for our course calendar in Jan 2019, or subscribe to our mailing list by clicking here
Q6) I would like to apply for this course using IBF-FTS funding. How can I do it?
- You need to be eligible for the funding. Eligibility criteria can be found here. For details on payment instructions, please call us at 6-7171906